Vision and Objectives
In April 2016, Great Barton Parish Council applied to St Edmundsbury Borough Council to designate the whole of the Great Barton Parish boundary as a Neighbourhood Area for preparing a Neighbourhood Plan. These links show
Great Barton Neighbourhood Plan Area Application
Neighbourhood Area Map
The overarching aspiration for Great Barton is to provide a rural environment which safeguards and enhances the village ethos for the continuing well-being of its residents.
The overall aim of the Neighbourhood Plan will be to present a vision with policies not only for housing and business development but future education provision, leisure opportunities, any roads or transport changes, medical facilities, and other infrastructure projects for the parish. It will also identify areas which need to be protected to retain and enhance the character of the Parish.
The draft Vision is:
- To promote a vibrant, interconnecting community which enhances the well-being of residents within the parish.
- To ensure the current and proposed developments are sustainable and harmonise within the original build and character of the village.
- Further growth of housing types to enable broader demographic populations within the parish especially the disabled, elderly and infirm residents.
- To ensure integration of the various settlements within the parish through new and enhanced pedestrian and cycle links.
- To promote the services of: retail shops, business developments to meet local employment needs, health provision, sport, leisure and amenities facilities whilst enhancing the natural (open and green) environment within the parish.
- To provide borough and county authorities and other utility services the important opinions of residents which will help shape correct decision making.